How to make a hive?
If you decide to engage in such an interesting occupation as beekeeping, then you should learn as much as possible about this craft. The habits of bees, their breeding conditions and the quality of the habitat. Bees live in beehives, places for which are found in nature, mostly - these are trees. In captivity, bees live in artificial hives, built in all respects so that the bees do not lose the ability to make honey.
You can buy specialized hives, but you can build it yourself. It will save your money, because sometimes hives can be expensive. And there is not always a guarantee that the hive is built from environmentally friendly materials. And this is a priority for the normal life of bees.
The question of how to make a hive with your own hands, only at first glance may seem difficult. In fact, if you understand all the intricacies of the issue, you can easily cope with it.
Hives and their types
Before you make a hive for bees, it is worth considering all types of their designs. By their position, hives are vertical and horizontal. In the vertical hive, all sections are frames, arranged vertically downwards.And if the population of bees increases, then the hive is increased by adding an additional frame on top of the structure. On average, a hive can have up to 5 tiers with frames.
In the horizontal hive, all sections are horizontal. In such a hive, the nest is located next to the honey container, a store where honey is stored, often for the convenience of a beekeeper.
The framework of which the hive consists is square in shape, long narrow and wide low. The walls of the hive can be single or double. Double walls often make for hive insulation.
The process of making the hive
Consider how to make a hive with your own hands. You can, of course, for your convenience and for clarity, to see the video, how to make a hive. But this instruction is no less clear and accessible everything will explain to you on this issue.
- The design of the hive should be such that the average temperature is reliably maintained, there are no drafts, but there is a constant access to fresh air.
- It is necessary to provide a place for insulation materials that will protect the bees during the cold weather, and prevent overheating in the hot season.
- Connectors for departure of bees should be conveniently located and be able to add new ones, while increasing the population.
- The main requirement is sufficient size of the internal space, since insects need a place for feeding and breeding. This is achieved by adding additional sections. And before you make a hive, you need to prepare a sufficient number of identical in construction framework. Thus, they will be interchangeable in all hives.
- Beehives should be fairly light and very strong, because At times there is a need to transport hives to places where honey plants grow.
- Details of the hive must have separate attachments and be easily removed in order not to use excessive pressing force and damage the design of the hive.
Characteristics of materials
Since in their natural habitat, bees choose places for hives on trees, this is the best material for building a hive.
Check the quality of the boards. They must be completely dry and free from cracks and defects.
Pods can be left if they are located in the center of the board - at a sufficient distance of at least 4 cm from the edge.But even within the framework of the presence of knots is not allowed.
The secret of how to make a beehive with your own hands is also what wood to choose.
The best for this are considered poplar, cedar, fir, spruce and linden. These are softwood trees.
Before starting work, you need to make sure that the boards are 5 mm larger than the walls of the hive. Details should be processed with great attention so that there are no irregularities.
The width of the boards for the hive is usually taken arbitrary. The base of the hive can be one solid board, or two connected. It is also necessary to pay attention to the diameter of the nails. They must firmly fix the boards, but do not give cracks in the wood.
As well as for other objects from a tree, in order that they longer served and were not so subject to influence of environment, they are painted. You need to repeat this procedure every couple of years. Paint should not have a pungent smell and fragrances. Therefore, it is better to choose paints with the least amount of dyes - white, blue or yellow.
The main thing in the construction of the hive - is to respect the right size. For this you need to take into account the design features of the framework. If the frames are used low and wide, then the average distance between the back and front walls of such a hive should be 45 cm.
In other cases, the average values apply:
- Between the edges of the walls of two adjacent frames, the distance should be 37.5 mm.
- Bee passes must be at least 12.5 mm with a honeycomb height of 25 mm
- If an additional body or a honey collection bin is being installed, then the distance between the upper bar of the socket frame and the lower bar of the honey container frame should be 10 mm.
- Between the side bars of the hive frame and its front and rear wall, the distance should be 7.5 mm.
- Between the bottom of the hive and the bottom rail of the socket should be 20 mm.
Using these average values, you can calculate other parameters of the future hive. The distance from the back to the front wall of the hive is 45 mm. This value is calculated, taking away from the length of the outer frame, which is usually 43.5 cm, the distance between the side bars and the walls of the hive is 7.5 mm.
In the case when it is necessary to calculate the distance between the future side walls of the hive, then the total number of frames is multiplied by the distance between their centers.
The errors in the dimensions of the parts of the hive should be minimal - up to 1 mm, or up to 0.5 mm x 1 mm in diameter.
In the case of large errors, it will be necessary to change the dimensions of other parts of the hive.This is additional work which, subsequently, will complicate the process of replacing these parts.
The middle age of the hive service is about ten years. Especially if it is built correctly, in compliance with all sizes and standards. The better and better built hive, the less time and effort spent on its repair and "improvement" you need. In order for you to be able to make a beehive according to all the rules, you need to familiarize yourself with the video lessons, instructions and tips from experienced beekeepers.
After all, if the hive is unsuitable for the bees, they will cease to multiply and bring honey. For their normal life they need the right space. And your task is to provide space.
How to remove tiles
24 hour communication
How to make Oreo keychain with your own hands
What are the watches
How to issue a profile
Hair, like a princess, or What a comb at the Duchess Catherine
What is the prostate