The advantages and disadvantages of fiberglass
There are many different types of wallpaper, and some are made from very unusual and unexpected materials, such as glass. And what features such coverage differs in, and what rules should be followed when sticking? This is worth considering.
What is a glass wall, what are they?
Steklooboi are made of special fiberglass, which includes such components as dolomite, quartz, sand, lime and others. In production, special blanks are first melted, then from them, yarns are formed, from which webs are created, later cut into strips and twisted into individual rolls.
There are two main types:
- Fiberglass or so-called "cobweb". Such a canvas is formed by the combination of glass threads, it has a small thickness and smooth texture. This type is used, as a rule, for preparing, leveling or reinforcing walls before finishing.Fiberglass uniformly fills small cracks and increases the adhesion of walls with decorative materials. As a self-completing coating, the “cobweb” is not used.
- Fiberglass or the so-called glass fiber wallpaper are made by complex weaves of glass filaments, which form the embossed texture. The canvas can have various patterns, such as Christmas tree, diamonds, waves, circles, matting, imitation of drops or rice paper textures and so on. This coating is ideal for finishing, but can be additionally coated with paint.
Advantages and disadvantages of the material
Like any other material, glass walls have advantages and disadvantages. First, you should evaluate the positive characteristics:
- Glass fiber is one of the most durable flexible finishing materials. In addition, they serve for a long time, maintaining their original qualities.
- This coating is not subjected to mechanical stress: not erased, not covered with cracks and dents and not scratched.
- Resistance to the effects of high humidity and even water allows you to use this wallpaper in the bathroom or kitchen, and wipe with a damp cloth.
- Ease of care.Dirt is practically not absorbed into the glass fibers, and stains are easily removed with a regular damp cloth. In addition, the coating can be cleaned with detergents, it will not suffer.
- Such a finishing material has a porous structure and therefore differs vapor and air permeability, which supports natural circulation and allows creating an optimal microclimate in the room.
- This coating is environmentally friendly and completely safe, as it is fire resistant and does not ignite. In addition, pathogenic microorganisms do not breed in glass fibers, and mold does not form.
- Walls pasted with such wallpaper do not attract dust and do not accumulate static electricity.
- A large variety of textures and the possibility of coloring allow you to implement any design ideas. The coating will look stylish and harmonious in any interior.
- If desired, and having the minimum skills, the glass wall paper can be glued on its own.
- Since the material is inelastic, it is necessary to prepare the surface of the walls, pre-aligning it. Otherwise, the canvas may be deformed or torn (this applies to a greater extent to fiberglass wallpaper, and not to fiberglass).
- If painting is planned, then the paint consumption will be significant, which is due to the high hygroscopicity of the material, that is, its ability to absorb liquids.
- When sticking a piece of glass fibers can get on the skin and cause irritation.
- After several stains, the texture can be smoothed out.
- Difficult dismantling: the material is difficult to remove from the surface of the walls.
- If there is an excess of paint or glue, the web may peel off and separate from the wall.
- High price.
How to make a choice?
How to choose the best glass wall? When buying them you need to take into account several criteria. The first is density. The higher it is, the longer the coverage will last. In addition, a high rate provides the possibility of several stains. The optimal value is 100 grams per square meter. and higher.
Rate relief. About the possible patterns was written above, and the more complex the texture, the more paint will be needed if it is applied. Also embossed wallpaper can accumulate pollution.
The next criterion is the documentation, which should indicate the composition, contacts of the manufacturer, features of certification, and so on.The composition includes fiberglass and impregnation, and the concentration of the latter should not exceed 30%.
And, finally, it is worth considering manufacturers. Virtulan, Alaxar, Nortex, X-Glass, Vertex are considered the most popular and deservedly reputable companies.
Features of sticking
First of all, it is worth writing about what kind of glue is suitable for fiberglass wallpaper. You need to choose a specialized tool designed specifically for this material or for heavy wallpaper. If used improper, it may not withstand the weight of the coating.
Stages of sticking:
- Preparation of the surface, which includes the removal of old finishing materials and the alignment of the walls, for example, using a plaster. Then apply a primer.
- Next, you need to cut glass walls by finding their wrong side. This is not easy, as it is similar to the front one, but some manufacturers put labels in the form of lines for convenience. If they are not, then remember that such a material, according to the standards, is folded face down. It is possible to cut wallpaper with scissors or a stationery knife, and it is obligatory to wear long sleeves, gloves and preferably in a respirator or mask.
- Using a roller, apply glue to the walls. It is not applied to the canvas.
- Begin to glue butt-to-butt glass wallpaper. Spread them with a rubber roller.
If you want to paint the walls, then suitable quality latex, water-dispersion or acrylic paint. It is applied after the glue has completely dried. Consumption is quite large, and to achieve the desired shade requires a minimum of two layers.
Glass fiber is a great design option for walls, if you choose them correctly and stick them.
Buy a fur coat
Is it possible to sunbathe nursing mom
What is an amphitheater
What is the correct way to wear fur accessories
How to draw anime in stages
How to treat diathesis
Lean mayonnaise at home
How to cook beef goulash